Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Shadow Behind the Corner

Who are you?

The shadow of a woman around the corner of the wall responded:
I am a collective of voices.

Voices?

A collective of voices who once served Paramesuara the Supreme Voice.

Can I see you?

No. I cannot see you.

Why not?

Seeing you would make me sad.

Didn't you actually mean you cannot see me but that I can see you?

Your statement bears the truth.

So why don't you close your eyes and turn around the corner so that I could see you but you won't see me?

I should have thought of that.
The woman appeared from behind the corner with her eyes closed.

Dhammaputeri was curious. She gazed at the exquisite face: You are beautiful. You are very beautiful.

Dhammaputeri felt her hair, the length of which reached her buttocks: Your hair feels like the softness of a cat's fur. Why is your hair the colour of yellowing leaves. Why is it not black or brown like everyone else's?

The remnant setting sun lit the woman's hair.

I wish you would open your eyes so I could see them. Dhammaputeri was exploring her face.

I wish I could open my eyes and see you too, but I can't.

Why not?

You are pure and guiltless. There is no handle on you that I could grasp to consume you and that makes me feel restless and vulnerable.

Why would you wish to consume me?

I have no wish but a forceful need to consume your soul. The voices within me long to be joined with your soul.

So why don't you open your eyes and let me commune with the voices that are in you.

Dhammaputeri gently held the woman's fingers and cajoled her: Please.

After a long moment of silence, the woman acquiesced. She opened her eyes to look into Dhammaputeri's. Her eyes became wet just as soon and tears dripped down her face.

Dhammaputeri used her cotton scarf to wipe the tears from woman's face. Your eyes. They are green like emeralds and yet like the colour of tea leaves about to catch fire.


Next - Next Chapter


No comments: